AS A LOS ANGELES BASED INTERIOR DESIGNER, IT IS AN EXTREME HONOR AND PRIVILEGE TO BE SELECTED AS ONE OF THE DESIGNERS FOR THE 2017 PASADENA SHOWCASE HOUSE OF DESIGN.
THIS YEAR, I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHOWCASE MY POINT OF VIEW AS AN INTERIOR DESIGNER, AND MY VALUES OF MY WORK TO THE PUBLIC OF APPROXIMATELY 30,000 ATTENDEES.
AS AN INTERIOR DESIGNER, THIS WAS A FACE-TO-FACE MEETING OF CREATIVITY AND VULNERABILITY.
One of my favorite authors and speakers is Brene Brown - researcher and storyteller.
I have read her three books a couple of times each:
- The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are
- Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
- Rising Strong: How the Ability to Reset Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
She opens her second book, Daring Greatly with this quote, which for me sums up my personal experience with the 2017 Pasadena Showcase House of Design.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
Design is a function of connection.
There is nothing more vulnerable than creativity.
What is art, if it is not love?
Vulnerability is the birthplace of love, belonging, joy, trust, empathy, creativity, and innovation.
Without vulnerability, you cannot create.
The three seats that will always be taken in the arena are shame, scarcity, and comparison.
We are hardwired for connection.
When we stop caring what other's think, we close ourselves off to connection.
When we are defined by what the critics think, we lose our capacity to be vulnerable.
I proceed with design of the library with three goals in mind:
- Express my point of view as an interior designer.
- Honor the history, tradition, and architecture of the home.
- Tell the story of Gerald "Jerry" Robertson, the tastemaker and visionary of the Ralph Lauren flagship store on Madison Avenue.
I believe, I was quite successful in achieving all three of these goals.
Using Google Analytics has helped me to define the basic demographics (age, gender, location, etc...) of the visitors to our website and been instrumental in definining our ideal client profile based on these statistics.
I have also spent a great deal of time developing our psychographics (the study and classification of people according to their attitudes, aspirations, and other psychological criteria, especially in market research).
Our clients know, understand, and apply the philosophies that:
- furnishing, construction, service and their experience are of quality, craftsmanship, and excellence
- handcrafted furniture by local artisans gives them unique pieces tailor-made just for them
- curated art collections by local and internationally recognized artists add to a home's character and are investments
- a mixture of new furnishings with antiques creates a collected and curated home
- interior design is a reflection of their lifestyle
- they enjoy fine living and believe it happens on a daily basis
- investing in quality furniture and construction is of value to them
- interior design enhances their way of life
- through interior design, we can tell a story - their story.
Until now, most of this research and data had come from statistics from our analytics and from the countless meetings I have had with potential clients and our clients over the past couple of years.
The 2017 Pasadena Showcase House of Design gave me the opportunity to experience this firsthand by engaging with the visitors as they toured this year's showcase house.
On Houzz there are currently 5, 185 interior designers and decorators listed on their directory within a 25-mile radius of Los Angeles, California.
That is some stiff competition when it comes to a sea of possible professionals to select for your next interior design or decorating project.
In addition, I believe there is enough work out there for all of us.
For everyone, Brene Brown offers these reminders as we go out into the uncharted territory of creativity.
The critics are always there.
I see and hear you, but I am going to show up and do it anyways.
Get clear about who the critics are for you.
Reserve a spot in the arena for yourself.
We are often times, our biggest critic, but we are also the person who believe in what we are doing.
Lastly, don't forget to invite your fans.
The ones who love you inspite of your flaws and imperfections.